Boys & Girls Clubs of Middle Tennessee (BGCMT) in alignment with Boys & Girls Clubs of America (BGCA) is dedicated to the highest standards of ethical behavior and integrity. We work every day to create fun, positive, and safe Club environments where kids have every opportunity to be successful in life.
Our Clubs exist to fill a critical gap between school and home, and during other out-of-school times when adult supervision may not available. These are times when kids and teens can become susceptible to added risks such as violence, substance abuse, and other risky behaviors without proper supervision and guidance.
Research is clear that when kids feel safe they have better outcomes in life, which is exactly why we do the work we do – building great futures by serving local youth who need us most to help them become productive, caring and responsible citizens in our community. Inherent in this is the safeguarding of those kids and teens who are entrusted to our care and engaged with our Clubs.
Our commitment is to ensure unwavering adherence to safety requirements, standards and best practices for the protection of our members and staff. Safety & security measures include, but are not limited to:
ONBOARDING & BACKGROUND CHECKS:
- BGCMT requires background checks for all BGCMT employees, volunteers and board members, as well as fingerprinting for BGCMT employees and recurring volunteers. The only exception is for those volunteering in a capacity that excludes any direct contact with Club youth or a group, one-day activity supervised by BGCMT staff.
- Onboarding also includes First Aid and CPR Training for all staff, and training on safety and security procedures and strategies
- Conduct yearly active shooter and active intruder trainings with support from the Metro Nashville Police Department, Franklin Police Department, and Department of Public Safety
- Conduct bi-annual safety trainings
- Child abuse and neglect training and youth interaction policy training for all staff and recurring
- Ongoing online and in-person safety trainings and refreshers
- BGCMT conducts regular audits at all area locations to ensure adherence to our policies and standards. This includes monthly observations at Club sites